Nothing too exciting to report this week. Work, long walks, reading, and cat cuddles. I’m excited for this weekend, though!
Even though I’ve been book blogging for five years, this is my first chance to participate in Dewey’s 24-hour read-a-thon! I’ve cleared my schedule and will spent a luxurious day reading. I’ve got an eclectic mix of books that to choose from, and an audiobook lined up for when I need to get up and around and moving.
Here’s a sampling of links from this week.
Feminism + Gender
- I am lucky to work in a female-dominated industry and all the men I do work with are actually totally awesome (even if they are into fantasy football). BUT I recently had to have a talk with Mister BS about mansplaining (he was trying to to convince his mom that Bernie was a better candidate than Hillary, and I was like, you need to stop mansplaining). This New York Times op-ed “How to Explain Mansplaining” is brilliant.
- Curtis Sittenfeld discusses Jane Austen and feminism. Sometimes I wonder if reading so much about an author or a book changes my opinion of it, but that’s a discussion for another time.
- The internet wants to make Charlotte Gilman’s feminist utopia a reality. I don’t really want to live in a jungle because bugs.
- The brutal truth that white feminists need to hear. I was lucky to have a class in college that really addressed all this, so I’ve been working on STFU when it comes to certain issues and making room for non-white perspectives for a long time. But this is something white feminists need to work on constantly.
Books + Reading
- Over at Book Riot, I shared a list of modern retellings of Shakespeare, whose work is as relevant today as it was almost 400 years ago when it was written.
- File this under “duh”: reading makes you smarter and more successful.
- This is an interesting piece from Bustle on matching books to your favorite music genres.
Food + Drinks
- I made this roasted cauliflower and chickpea pita recipe from Pinch of Yum this week (with a few tweaks) and it was amazing!
- And we had leftover pita from it, so of course whipped up a batch of my favorite hummus.
- I am a big fan of my own frozen mango margaritas but am interested in trying out this blenderless version with a kick of spice!
Style + Shop
- Not only does Alissa rock this twirly red skirt, I love what she has to say about not letting jealousy get the best of you or feeling resentful of the success of others.
- I’m in love with this motorcycle jacket + blush midi skirt combo on Jessica at the Here and Now.
- I am in love with this black and white Ralph Lauren dress but what I really need is more casual clothes.
Do you have big weekend plans? What was the best article or blog post you read this week?